A US woman has been rewarded for sharing her video of her son’s iPhone 7 s Plus smartphone exploding on the floor.
The video was shared on Twitter on Sunday after the young man’s dad took his iPhone from him in a park and left it there.
His parents had been watching him with the phone when it exploded, and he was shocked and horrified when the phone did.
He said he then grabbed the phone to find it had melted into a fireball and that it went flying through the air.
In the video, the boy can be seen frantically attempting to get the phone out of the air, but it still explodes in his hand as he runs away.
“My son’s phone was just like a big, hot, flaming piece of metal,” he said.
Ms Johnson said she was impressed by the response to the video.
Her husband has also been left shaken by the incident, she said.
“He’s a really, really hardworking man and he’s been in and out of rehab for mental health issues and drug addiction and addiction issues,” she said in the video post.
She said her son had been in treatment for two years, but that he had not yet turned 30.
A friend posted a picture of the charred iPhone in the street, with an inscription saying it was worth a “bonus” for sharing.
“Thanks for sharing your video,” it read.
“If you need anything, please send me a tweet or send me an email at [email protected]”
Ms Johnson was unable to comment on whether the family had any contact details for her son, but Ms Johnson said her husband was also being assessed.
Topics:technology,technology-and-technology-policy,family-and/or-children,internet-culture,united-states,australiaContact Matthew Johnson